25 Jun Classic Kitchen Range Hood Ideas
Range hoods are a functional and eye-catching focal point for the central room in your home: the kitchen. From geometrically complex patterns to sleek modern designs, range hoods can refine your chosen kitchen design style to create cohesion and unity.
If you’re searching for modern kitchen range hood ideas, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll introduce the standard types of kitchen range hoods and primary styles. Then, we’ll offer our expert kitchen range hood ideas, as well as advice on installing them.
Let’s dive in.
What Are Kitchen Range Hoods
Your vented range hood has two primary purposes:
- Eliminate grease from the air.
- Ventilate smoke, heat, and steam.
The range hood accomplishes these two goals with the help of its mechanical fan to ensure your kitchen’s air stays crisp and clean. There are three main types of range hoods, including:
- Ducted – Ducted range hoods ventilate smoke, heat, smells, and other irritants from your kitchen and transport them outside your home.
- Ductless – Ductless range hoods use a filter to recirculate the air and eliminate smells.
- Convertible – Convertible range hoods are ducted hoods that you can convert into ductless hoods.
When you step into your kitchen, does your inner Gordon Ramsay come out? If so, you might want to choose a ducted range hood, as these are the most effective. On the other hand, ductless range hoods promise convenience because you can install them anywhere, but you’ll need to change the filters on a regular basis.
Kitchen Range Hood Styles
As you choose between the different available styles of range hoods, balance your design vision with functionality. Then consider these prevailing styles:
- Under-Cabinet Range Hoods – Under-cabinet range hoods are the most common option. You install these range hoods to the underside of a cabinet above your cooktop. Under-cabinet range hoods are inexpensive and easy to install.
- Wall-Mounted Range Hoods – Wall-mounted range hoods attach to the wall and look like a chimney with a wide bottom that narrows towards the top.
- Downdraft Range Hoods – Downdraft range hoods remain hidden inside the cooktop until you activate them. They then rise out of the cooktop. They’re a common choice if you have a kitchen island.
- Island Range Hoods – An Island hood is also called ceiling-mount range hood. They are installed on the ceiling above the kitchen island and come in many stylish varieties.
- Microwave Range Hoods – Over-the-range microwaves also have their own ventilation, but they will not be as effective as regular range hoods. Still, they save a lot of space!
- Professional-Grade Range Hoods – Professional-grade range hoods provide restaurant-level ventilation for aspiring chefs cooking at home.
- Range Hood Inserts – Range hood inserts are also referred to as power packs. If you’re constructing a custom modern kitchen, you can build these to match your cabinets and kitchen.
Both the placement and the structural component matters when choosing the right kitchen hood. Consider both where and how you intend to install yours.
Kitchen Range Hood Ideas and Inspiration
When it comes to kitchen range hood ideas, the options are seemingly endless. Let us offer you a little inspiration. Many homeowners bring their travels home through their decor choices. Tuscan-style kitchens are a classic and timeless aesthetic for many families. Here are some of our favorite kitchen range hood ideas:
- Timeless Tuscany – Imagine a kitchen hood complete with Golden Sandstone influenced by Tuscan-style and an original mosaic featuring grapes and traveling vines. Two Romanesque corbels flank and support the structure while natural detailing in the finish expresses old-world style.
- Royal Riviera – A testament to the possibilities of customization, consider Riviera Beige architectural stone and mosaic tile backsplash on the arch of the ventilation hood. Stylish level tiers are beveled all the way up to the crown and perfectly slope up through the exhaust chimney. Two custom-made corbels support the structure and add intricate details and motifs.
- Classic Chic – Inspired by foliage, get lost in a classic hood with foliage detailing in the center accentuated by two elaborately etched and sculpted braces on both sides of the hood. This custom structure is completed by veneer tiles arranged in a brick bond pattern on the supporting wall.
These are just a few of our kitchen range hood ideas to help inspire your vision and kitchen design. With our growing selection of stone and decorative tiles and team of design experts, we continue to stay in the vanguard of fashion-forward interior design trends. In fact, we cover everything you need to know about mixing metals in interior design.
Installing Kitchen Range Hoods
When it’s time to bring your kitchen range hood ideas to life, you can follow these three steps to ensure a smooth installation process for your new kitchen range hood:
- Measure the Space – Depending on the style of kitchen range hood that you buy, you will likely need to measure your kitchen before you make your purchase, especially if you plan to buy a wall-mounted or island-mounted range hood. A bonus of a custom kitchen hood is that it can be constructed to fit perfectly in your kitchen.
- Investigate Your Venting Options – You should determine whether your range hood will vent outside your house or recirculate air back into your house.
- Purchase Additional Materials – If you have high ceilings and add a wall-mounted or island-mounted range hood in your kitchen, you will need to buy an extension kit to accommodate your high ceilings.1
Find Inspiration with Materials Marketing
Since 1965, Materials Marketing had melded the natural beauty of stone and tile with our clients’ design visions to create homes out of houses. Our expert carvers can craft a custom hood for your kitchen that embodies your design ethos and celebrates what makes your family unique.
Your inspiration champions our work—Materials Marketing.
- Bob Vila. The Best Range Hoods for Kitchen Ventilation. https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-range-hoods/